Here be the results in the order they happened:
- Bad News Barrett def. R-Truth: BNB faced off against R-Truth during the kickoff pre-show. One Bullhammer and R-Truth was done.
- Paul Heyman fielded questions submitted via Twitter. He kept it entertaining while doing the promo for the main event between Lesnar and Rollins.
- Randy Orton def. Sheamus: In the first match of Battleground, the two vets went head to head. After blocking each other’s finishers down to the wire, a surprise RKO got him the win in the end over the 2015 Money in the Bank holder.
- Tag Team Champions The Prime Time Players Def. The New Day: Titus and Darren said on RAW last week their title defense was a done deal. Despite the number disadvantage, the Prime Time Players walked out with the tag team gold intact. Darren took out Kofi Kingston while Titus finished off Big E for the victory.
- After the Tag Team Match, Paige did a backstage promo with Charlotte and Becky. Paige confirmed Becky and Chatlotte were promoted to the main roster from NXT. Given AJ’s retirement a few months back and Nikki Bella apparently booked to break AJ’s record for longest consecutive Divas title reign, Steph needed to do something to shake up the Divas Division. Aside from Paige, Naomi and Tamina there’s no one else so…yeah. They needed to get more Divas.
- Bray Wyatt def. Roman Reigns: Just when the match was beginning to get a little out of hand, Luke Harper ambushed Reigns to help The Eater of Worlds pick up the win. Harper returning to Wyatt’s side can only mean the beginning of bad things to come.
- Naomi, Tamina and Sasha did a promo after the match ahead of their Divas Triple Threat Match, which was next. They headed to the ring after intimidating their interviewer.
- Charlotte def. Brie Bella to win Divas Triple Threat Match: Three three-woman squads. One woman from each team. One match. I expected some Twin Magic when Brie was selected from Team Bella (Brie, Nikki and Alicia Fox) to participate but that didn’t happen. Charlotte from Team Paige (Paige, Charlotte and Becky) made Brie tap out to the Figure Four–a move she no doubt learned from her father Ric Flair. NXT Divas Champion Sasha of Team Naomi (Naomi, Tamina and Sasha) also participated in the match.
- US Champion John Cena def. Kevin Owens: Like their last two meetings, the match was an endurance test for both men. This time, Cena made Owens submit after a purely physical match. Being honest, the back to back to back finisher spam got old fast. RAW tomorrow will set the tone for Summer Slam but I’m sure Owens isn’t done with Cena.
- After the match, The Miz came down the ring to do a promo on the cancelled Triple Threat Match involving him, The Big Show and Ryback. Having heard enough of his ranting, The Big Show came down the ring, knocked out The Miz and then left again without saying a word. Haven’t seen anything like it since The Rock came out on RAW a few years ago and Rock Bottomed Mick Foley a few years back.
- Brock Lesnar vs. Seth Rollins for WWE Championship ends in No Contest: Whew…no doubt Lesnar had fun giving Rollins a tour of Suplex City. Ala Wrestlemania’s main event, the match ended with an interruption. This time, it was The Undertaker. 13 Suplexes and an F-5 later, Lesnar was about to pin Rollins when that *GONG* hit. Damn near lost my shit when he appeared in the middle of the ring, took out Lesnar with a chokeslam, two Tombstones and left the ring like a boss. I think Heyman was legit surprised himself. Triple H and McMahon don’t tell him everything in advance.
Taker looked even more impressive than he did at Wrestlemania. Looks like we’re gonna have Lesnar vs. ‘Taker at Summer Slam. Tomorrow night’s RAW is now going to be a whole lot more interesting: I already know ‘Taker was booked to appear on the RAW after Battleground and both ‘Taker and Sting are booked to appear at Summer Slam.
This DOES leave the question of who Rollins’ next opponent may be since Lesnar will be going against ‘Taker. Hopefully, we will find out tomorrow. My guess is another vet and I’ve narrowed it down to Sting (could happen), Ceasaro, Mark Henry or Randy Orton.