The Kickoff Show started at 7PM on WWE Network.
- Much of the hour was spent promting the HIAC matches.
- The kickoff match involved Ceasaro, Dolph Ziggler and Neville, who defeated King Barret, Sheamus and Rusev in 6-man Tag action.
Now on to the event itself:
- United States Championship Open Challenge: Talk about kicking off HIAC with a BANG! Alberto Del Rio, who was fired last year for reportedly mistreating a WWE employee was introduced by another surprise returning personality: Zeb Coulter, who hasn’t been seen in some time. It was an impressive match but it was obvious Cena was meant to drop the title tonight. Del Rio’s a great choice, more so given his first match back: He’s a vet, after all. No hints were dropped as to weather he’s back as a Face or a Heel but based on Coulter being in his corner and the crowd’ reaction, I assume it’s as a Face for now. We’ll certainly know for sure tomorrow on RAW.
- After the match, Triple H and Steph did a Promo with Seth Rollins and Kane about the latter two’s match.
- Roman Reigns def. Bray Wyatt (Hell in a Cell Match): The first of the two Hell in a Cell matches on the card. Shades of the first HIAC match between Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker were in the air as they put on a classic match in The Devil’s Playground. Only differences being no surprise interruption (Kane) and no blood. Reigns tapped into the same tenacity he showed at Wrestlemania, showing The Eater of Worlds how he stood toe to toe with Brock Lesnar at the Show Shows.
- WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day def. The Dudley Boyz: Down the wire, I got the feeling the Dudleys weren’t gonna get a clean win. This was confirmed after Kofi Kingston nearly got the Dudleys disqualified by feigning injury by a foreign object. They’re heels so…yeah. I doubt the feud is over though I’m sure The Primetime Players will get involved now that The New Day has retained the titles.
- Divas Champion Charlotte def. Nikki Bella: This was one hell of a match the current and former Divas Champion put on. They certainly didn’t disappoint and it was a pretty physical match. In the end, Charlotte picked up the win by making Nikki tap out to the Figure 8. It’s now a question of who her next opponent may be. It looks like it could be Paige given her Heel turn but we’ll probably know for sure come tomorrow’s RAW.
- After the match, Roman Reigns and Dean Ambrose did a promo backstage, hinting Reigns might be back in the title picture come tomorrow’s RAW. It’s a question of weather or not it will be against Seth Rollins…or Kane. Speaking of said match…
- WWE Champion Seth Rollins def. Kane: Had to admit I was surprised Rollins won cleanly given his track record. Nevermind the fact we now have confirmation the Lesnar/Taker HIAC Match is the card’s main event. Not the first time of course so…yeah.
- Intercontinental Champion Kevin Owens def. Ryback: For some reason, this match immediately followed the WWE Title Match. Regardless, everyone except John Cena retained tonight.
- Brock Lesnar def. The Undertaker (Hell in a Cell Match): Unsurprisingly, both superstars started bleeding not long after the match began. The ring was literally torn apart as they fought to the finish. In the end, Lesnar emerged victorious but not before ending the match the same way ‘Taker ended their previous match. As Michael Cole said after the match, Lesnar’s definitely learned how to sell matches better while fighting The Undertaker. Taker was about to salue the crowd when–
- After the match, The Wyatt Family came out to the ring and took out The Deadman. In a perverse display, The Wyatt family ceremoniously carried The Undertaker out of the ring backstage to who knows where.
And there you have it.
Post-PPV RAW is always big. I mean there’s so much stuff that needs covering:
- Del Rio’s Back!: Easily the biggest moment of the night. It’ll be interesting to see how his return is explained.
- Seth Rollins’ Next Opponent: Will it be Cesaro, Reigns, Lesnar or someone out of left field?
- ‘Taker/Wyatt Feud Renewed?: I assume that’s what’s going on for now. Of course, the Wyatts getting involved is also meant to set things up for Survivor Series, which is a celebration of ‘Taker’s first appearance 25 years ago. I assume it will be a traditional Survivor Series match but who will step up and fight alongside The Deadman? My guesses are Kane, Dean Ambrose and Randy Orton.